Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Travel Day

That's what today was...a travel day. We probably spent a total of 7 1/2 - 8 hours traveling. We left Newport after breakfast heading to Fishguard, Wales. Our coach driver was a full-blooded Welsh man. It's hilarious to hear the English speak of the Welsh (and make fun of their language) and vice versa. They both seem OK with the Irish. As we were traveling, our driver pointed out the former home of Katherine Zeta Jones... some of the delegates enjoyed seeing that.

Our drive was about 3 hours - so about halfway through, we stopped in the sweet little town of Carmarthen for about 45 minutes. Unfortunately for us, most of the shops were closed since it was Sunday. As we were driving, we started seeing quite a few strawberry stands along the road. Their signs also said you got free chocolate sauce to go with the strawberries. Sam, our delegation manager, thought this would be fun for us, so we stopped at one - MUCH to the delight of the guy selling!!! - and we inhaled strawberries, dipping them in chocolate.BubbleShare: Share photos - Play some Online Games.


On we journeyed to Fishguard where we boarded our ferry for Ireland. It was a beautiful day so we spent a lot of time on the deck of the ferry saying good-bye for now to Wales... and then hello to Ireland.

Once we docked, we were met by a very Irish man - Mr. O'Brien. He will be our driver the entire time we're in this country. This is the first time we will have had a driver for more than a full day. I know I had told you at meetings that we would probably have 3 drivers - one for each of England/Wales...then Ireland... and then Wales/England. But that's not how it's been this year. I'm glad it wasn't, because it was a great experience to ride the London Underground.

The delegates were able to go out exploring our new destination tonight... but we had them in minimum groups of 4. They had to be back in the hotel by 10:15 p.m. - which they all were - and then the hotel opened up a room for them to sit and play their cards/games. It's now 11:15 p.m. and all your precious ones are in their rooms. This is the only night we're in this hotel...so hopefully I'll be able to update again tomorrow.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Bond said...

Hi Judy, another delightful post. Having been a street artist myself, I can imagine the strawberry seller's complete delight!

Gracie has her own blog for the trip, to keep friends and family up to date, but she's not able to blog from the Blackberry - too time consuming, I think, typing from the Blackberry. I copied your journal (credited to you) "Travel Day" onto Gracie's blog, and gave them your blog address. I hope that's OK. If not let me know, and I'll take it down.

Also, I'm wondering if you have the capability to include a few pictures that I could add to Gracie's blog.

Thanks for much for all you're doing!

Bond

Anonymous said...

Hi Bond,
That's absolutely fine to copy... I have no idea how to post photos here. I know how to do it at home with my programs... I'll try to remember and ask Gracie if she knows how with what we have.

Judy